When it comes to choosing the best camping gear, the first thing that you have to do is know the difference between what is required and what is optional. If you don’t have the essential items for camping you are going to have a difficult time and may not even want to attempt the sport again.
Once you are able to put together the gear items that are absolutely necessary you can determine what optional gear you want to bring to make the experience even better. Camping gear can be expensive so most people add a little at a time once they know that this hobby is something they are going to enjoy regularly.
What Camping Supplies Are Absolutely Necessary
There are definitely some camping supplies that are absolutely necessary. Here is a list of the essentials:
- You need a tent, along with the accessories to put it up like the poles, frame and tent stakes. You also need a tarp to keep out the rain if your tent doesn’t have a rain fly.
- You also need sleeping gear like a sleeping bag, mattress pad, travel pillow and a heavy quilt if your sleeping bag isn’t keeping you warm enough.
- You’ll need clothing for camping. Dress for the weather you expect or check the forecast before you go.
- You’ll want to bring plenty of water, food and coolers to store everything in.
- If you plan to start a campfire you are going to need matches, firewood and some type of kindling. You can use trash to get the kindling going.
- There are various cooking supplies that you’ll need to have on hand. Most people bring paper plates and plasticware, but you also need some pots and pans, skillets and possibly even a camp stove.
- You also need some cleaning supplies. Trash bags are a must as are paper towels, some kind of all-purpose cleaner and a tub, soap and scrubber for the dishes.
- Don’t forget about safety. You should bring as basic first-aid kit as well as a snake bite kit and any other medical supplies such as an epi pen for allergic reactions and a bee sting kit. Also, bring extra of your personal medications.
- Something to sit on is vital. You are going to be doing a lot of sitting. You may also want to bring a hammock.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. Also, bring plenty of insecticide and mosquito repellant citronella candles or some other way to keep the critters away.
- Bring flashlights and lanterns too!
How to Choose The Best Camping Equipment
There are some steps that you can take to make sure that you are choosing the best camping equipment on the market so that you have the best experience possible without going over budget.
- Know what items are required and which one are optional.
- Combine items when you can. Two person camp chairs, double hammocks, multi-purpose tools and one tent for 8 people instead of two 4 person tents cost less, take up less space and are less hassle to set up and tear down.
- Do your research. Make sure you know that the item you are getting is high-quality and other customers have been happy with it.
- Always buy from somewhere that has an easy return policy. Amazon is highly recommended for this reason.
What Camping Tools Do You need
There are actually only a few camping tools that are essential. Of course, if you have extra room in your car, some additional tools may come in handy, but at least bring the following:
- Nails for Hanging Line and Putting up Flys
- Extra Rope, Clothesline or Twine
- Axe or Hatchet
- Phillips and Regular Screwdrivers
A List of Essential Camping Utensils For Cooking
When it comes to gear, you are going to need some tools to cook with and serve food. These kitchen tools are the minimum required for you to be able to handle food out in the wilderness. If you want to get more culinary you can bring extra spices and the like. But here are the basic tools that you will need.
- A large pot with a lid
- A large spoon
- Paper plates
- Plastic forks, knives and spoons
- Paper towels
- A small pot with a lid
- Paper cups (unless you want to wash real ones)
- A good kitchen knife (two would be better)
- A skillet or griddle of some kind
- A spatula
- A cutting board or something you can use to prepare food on
Camping Accessories You Can’t Live Without
There are a number of accessories that you need to go camping. These are extra things that most people don’t think about and then find out they need later one. These are essential extras that every camper should have on hand just in case there are any problems. Some of them depend upon the equipment that you are taking, but most are necessary no matter what.
- Air mattress repair kit (also true if you have an inflatable tent)
- Extra tent stakes in case one breaks
- Campfire cooking glove or oven mitt
- Camping or travel pillows (coated to prevent moisture from soaking in)
- Small fishing kit (hooks, line, lures – for emergencies)
- Can opener (you’d be surprised how many people forget)
- Storage containers (to prevent food smell from attracting animals)
- Aluminum foil
- Something to clean your hands without water (you need to save your water for drinking)
Camping Gadgets That Make Camping Easier
There are some really cool gadgets for camping out there that you might want to look at.
Some examples include solar powered portable chargers (for your phone or tablet), a wind-up radio, water purifying equipment, multi-tool for opening cans, eating and cutting, multi-tool like a combination hatchet, hammer and shovel or a solar powered camp shower.
There are lots of other great new camp gadgets out there as well.